Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Guest Tutorial From I Am Momma Hear Me Roar

Today I have a FABULOUS guest post from my blog friend Cheri from I Am Momma-Hear Me Roar.


Hello Alisa fans! I'm Cheri from I Am Momma - Hear Me Roar. I found Alisa's blog a few months ago and was amazed by her creative projects, stunning abilities, and her inherent artistic nature. So, I am more than thrilled to be posting here today. She's over on my blog today, making something really fun.

Today I'm going to show you how to take a plain purse or bag and turn it into something like this. This is my darling sister and model. It's her purse I revamped.


Here's how the bag looked in the beginning when she bought it.



All you need to do is find a fabric you love. Iron on some "heat 'n bond" to the back of thge fabric. This will also make the fabric stiff and easy to cut out. I cut out a shape I liked from the fabric. Then peel off the paper backing and iron it onto the bag.



For a little extra detail and a more professional look, I added some embroidery floss. This is super easy to do, it just requires a some time. If the bag has a lining, be sure to make sure it's laying flat when you are stitching. You don't want to sew it to the outer layer in a weird way. If you feel like there's any spot of your fabric that isn't sticking to the bag as it should, just stitch your floss there. It'll look cute and hold it in place.

Floss is only $ .37 and it's a fun way to add some extra details. I love to add it to the shirts I make for my little boys.



Here's the final product. She likes it! Victory!



Thanks for having me, Alisa. All of you are welcome at my place anytime. Have a great day!



Head over to Cheri's blog today for my tutorial on making this recycled safety pin bracelet!

14 comments:

Taylor Swim said...

Wow! I love the bag! The floss makes all the difference. Thanks for sharing Cheri with us today!

Dianne said...

Love this bag!

Unknown said...

Very creative!
If I decide to make one, I will just need to remember to not do this on bags that aren't made out of fabric so they don't melt when the appliques are ironed on.

Jen said...

OHHH man that Cheri is sooo creative and that sister of hers is just darling. oH and I love your bracelet over on her blog. Great trade ladies!

Lori P said...

This is gorgeous! What a fabulous idea. I happen to have an affinity for repurposed bags and this one is the bomb. Thanks! (love your blog, too)

Anonymous said...

Great purse! You have gotten me addicted to floss!

Mandy Beyeler said...

what a change - great revamp! thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday! Mandy, www.craftedition.blogspot.com

Dana Barbieri said...

Great! I have this exact bag and the same color! would love to give this a try!

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor said...

I love the recycled bracelet! Bet my daughter would love to make something like that with all the scraps we have around here!

Santa's Gift Shoppe and Ideas said...

Hi..I’m Barb…I am from tip junkie . I am your newest follower. I hope you will get a chance to visit my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
& get inspired by something for your family/home. I hope you will follow me as well. Nice to meet ya new friend!!!

Erin Butson said...

This is so fun. I'm always inspired by your blog!

britt said...

love that!! completely made it look like a new bag just by embellishing it some!!

Crazy RAvens Studio said...

omigod, I should never have viewed this site. I came here via an ad on Cloth Paper Scissors. Now my head is about to burst with ideas for projects, as If I don't already have enough, painting, sewing, gardening projects on the go already. I was getting ready for a garage sale and now I probably won't be able to get rid of anything!

Unknown said...

Oh i love, i love! Thanks so much for linking up and sharing your creative juices!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails